OKC Teen, Paralyzed After Shooting, Talks About Attack


Wednesday, May 30th 2012, 5:53 pm
By: Dana Hertneky


He was a victim of a senseless act of random violence. Bronson Quickle was walking to his bus stop May 8 when someone shot him.

Quickle, 17, is now paralyzed from the waist down. He was finally able to sit up in a wheelchair Wednesday and go outside for the first time in three weeks. The last time he felt fresh air on his face was when he was walking to his school bus stop with a friend. It was then when two men approached them from the front. 

"These two dudes walked up, one had a hood on and they asked us, they said ‘what's up' and I said ‘nothing' and this one dude he had a pistol and he was messing with my friend and I wasn't paying attention to the other dude and he randomly shot me," said Quickle.

5/08/2012 Related Story: Teens Attacked On Way To School, One Left Paralyzed

His friend ran the two blocks to Quickle's house and got his mom, who tended to her son until paramedics arrived.

"Just holding pressure to the wound and talking to him and of course screaming bloody murder," Quickle's mother Tami Jackson recalls.

It was Jackson who would later break the news to her son that his life had been changed forever.

"I'm not going to be able to walk. So I'm going to be in my wheelchair the whole time," said Quickle.  "I like to play basketball. So I'm going to have to do that in a wheelchair.  There's a lot of stuff I will have to learn to do."

Meanwhile the two men who did attacked Quickle are still on the loose. It's a fact that Quickle and his family say means they are living with fear and unanswered questions.

"I would ask them why they shot me, and what was the reason," said Quickle.

Quickle's family has set up a web site www.teambronson2012.org to keep everyone updated on Quickle's progress. There is also information there on how you can donate to help pay for his medical costs.