A family of six, including three small children, barely escaped a burning house in the 2500 block of S.E. 49th Street early Wednesday morning.
The fire broke out just after midnight. Firefighters say someone in the house used the stove to warm up some grease, and that sparked the fire.
Henry Love, 57, told News 9 he woke up when he heard someone screaming the house was on fire. He and his 20-year-old son ran to the back of the house, broke out several windows and pulled three children – ages 6, 7, and 8 – from the home. They also rescued Love's son's 21-year-old girlfriend from the burning structure.
"I'm glad I'm out because the smoke could have killed me," said Love. "If they wouldn't have started hollering I would have died in there. I just heard a lot of popping going on and I knew that was dangerous. I felt like the house was about to blow up."
The family suffered a few cuts, but otherwise no one was hurt. Firefighters arrived within minutes and extinguished the flames.