The Cleveland County Sheriff's Office is accepting applications for detention officers. The new hires will operate the third pod at the Cleveland County Detention Center.
In October, the Cleveland County Budget Board promised $556,823 to the Cleveland County Sheriff's Office to hire 16 more detention officers for the new jail. Officials also are looking to hire nine more jail employees.
The detention center opened February 11. It was built to house 542 inmates.
Anyone interested in applying for a detention officer position must be 21 years of age and a United States citizen. Annual salary begins at $31,000.
Job requirements for detention officers include the following:
• Must have a high school diploma or GED
• Valid driver's license and insurable driving record.
• Must pass a background investigation, polygraph exam and drug test
• Officers are required to work shifts in a 24/7 operation.
• Applicants cannot have any felony or major misdemeanor convictions nor pending criminal charges.
• They also cannot have any domestic abuse convictions or a domestic violence record
Sheriff Joe Lester urges anyone who is interested in a law enforcement career to consider applying for one of the positions.
"We need individuals to join the quality staff that we have now and operate the jail's third pod," Lester said. "Working in law enforcement requires a person with high ethical standards and that's what we're looking for to keep the facility at its best."
If interested, call (405) 701-8840 and ask for Patty. Applications may be picked up at CCSO, 128 S. Peters Avenue in Norman or download an application!