Police and fire crews worked to battle a fire that ended up claiming the life of a northeast Oklahoma City man.
It happened just after 6 p.m. Tuesday, at a home located at 1527 N.E. 20th Street. The victim, 84-year-old Lloyd Brunson who was wheelchair-bound, was trapped by burglar bars.
Several of his neighbors worked together to try and save him. His niece who saw him hours earlier was overcome with grief as she listened to the tragic tale of how uncle Lloyd lost his life.
"He was laying on the floor and the fire was just, you know, over him. If the bars weren't there, we could've gotten him out but there was nothing we could do," Ethel Jeremiah said.
Firefighters say the fire is not suspicious, and although they didn't give an official cause, neighbors believe it was space heater.