The Oklahoma City woman whose house went up in flames Thursday in a natural gas explosion says she was baking cookies at the time of the blast.
The explosion destroyed Kate Purcell's home near S.W. 92nd Street and Villa. It took Oklahoma City firefighters several hours to extinguish the fire. The blast damaged nearby homes and blew out windows. Residents in the area also had to be evacuated when ONG crews made sure the gas leak was capped.
ONG says the 2-inch medium pressure gas line was likely cut by contractors working in the area. Purcell's daughter says her mother smelled the gas, and went outside to ask the workers if she should be concerned.
Purcell was told there was nothing to worry about, so she returned to her home. Around 5 p.m., the explosion occurred while she was inside the house. Two ONG workers and a neighbor rushed inside and pulled her out of the burning home.
Purcell refused to go to the hospital Thursday, but her daughter tells News 9 she is still shaken up and very sore, so she may seek treatment soon.
Purcell's daughter also says the family cat is still missing, and her mother is very upset.