St. Gregory’s Rallies For Win Over Flying Queens

Monday, February 11th 2013, 11:48 am
By: News 9

St. Gregory's senior Leticia Silva scored a game-high 18 points and the Cavaliers overcame a late double-digit deficit to defeat Wayland Baptist 55-50 Saturday at the Hutcherson Center. Silva was 7 of 11 from the field, netting 11 of her 18 in the second-half to help the visitors claw their way out of a 10-point hole with 15 minutes to go.

SGU (10-15, 3-8 SAC) has won three of its last four after beginning conference play 0-7. With the win, the Cavs split the season series with the Flying Queens.

WBU had a couple of shots to tie the game after Angeleigh Davis converted a traditional three-point play to cut a 53-47 SGU advantage to three with 51 seconds left in the game. But Davis missed two consecutive threes with less than 25 seconds to play, and Silva put the exclamation point on the win with a layup at the 10 second mark.

The Cavs held the Flying Queens to their second-lowest shooting output of the season – 25 percent – including a 17 percent clip in the second half that allowed the visitors to get back into the game. Junior Kalie Lucas was the only other SGU player in double figures, finishing with 13 points, seven rebounds, five blocks and three assists.

The Cavs had a 32-10 advantage in the paint and held WBU to only two points down low in the second half. SGU shot 42 percent for the game.

There were three ties and four lead changes in the first 10 minutes of the game before WBU finally created some breathing room. Up 21-18 with 9:46 left in the first half, the Flying Queens put the clamps on defensively, holding the Cavs scoreless for five-plus minutes during a 7-0 run to make it 28-18 with 4:29 to play.

The Flying Queens led 30-22 at the break after maintaining a 25-15 advantage on the boards. SGU shot only 35 percent from the floor in the first 20 minutes.

It was 36-26 WBU with 15:35 to go when SGU began to get back into the game. Over the next five minutes, the Cavs held the Flying Queens without a field goal, and a pair of Silva free throws gave the visitors their first lead since early in the game at 39-38. The Cavs didn't let up, extending WBU's field goal drought to more than 10 minutes before Laura Castillo's three-pointer cut the SGU lead to 46-43 with 5:22 to play.

The Cavs pushed the advantage back to as many as seven on a couple of occasions before Davis' late effort to get her team even.

SGU returns to action Tuesday at Oklahoma Baptist. That game is scheduled for 6 p.m.