Someone passing by pulled a woman from a burning home in southwest Oklahoma City then walked away before anyone could learn the good Samaritan's identity.
The fire began just before midnight in the 2400 block of S.W. 86th Street near Hillcrest Drive. There were flames and heavy smoke throughout the house, and the woman inside was trapped and alone.
Someone outside saw what was happening and rushed to help. The anonymous rescuer pulled the woman through a small front window then disappeared. The woman said she didn't know the unidentified hero. Neighbors called 911.
The woman was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, but she's expected to be all right.
Firefighters say the woman is a smoker, and the fire may have started when a cigarette fell onto a couch. The fire caused about $40,000 in damage to the house.