OSU-OKC Reopens Wednesday Following Bomb Threat

Tuesday, April 23rd 2013, 10:04 pm
By: News 9

Oklahoma State University's Oklahoma City campus reopened Wednesday at 7 a.m. following a bomb threat early Tuesday evening.

The threat forced a campus-wide evacuation and canceled all evening classes at OSU-OKC while university security and Oklahoma City police officers searched the campus.

4/23/2013 Related Story: Bomb Threat Prompts Evacuation At OSU Campus In OKC

The suspect who called in the threat said a bomb would explode by 11 p.m. Tuesday. Officers blocked entrances to the campus throughout the evening, turning the area into a ghost town.

"[It's] really scary," said student Taylor Hamilton. "You're just trying to go to school, and you can't even be safe at school."

Police say a call came into the OSU-OKC switchboard around 4 p.m. Tuesday warning of a bomb on campus. No other specific location was given, according to police. The campus was evacuated, classes were canceled and a search began.

"[They're] doing a building-by-building search," Lt. Arthur Gregory with Oklahoma City Police said. "They're going to look very thoroughly at all the classrooms and facilities that are there."

The OSU-OKC bomb threat is just the latest in a rash of OKC metro bomb scares. Streets were closed and an evacuation was ordered at the Oklahoma County District Courthouse on March 14.

Last week, there was a suspicious package at Southern Nazarene University in Bethany. Just two days before the 18th anniversary of the 1995 Murrah Federal Building bombing, a stolen U-Haul truck parked outside City Hall brought back unwelcome memories.

Students at OSU-OKC were notified of the threat through text messages, emails, phone calls and social media updates. Police say children at a daycare center on campus were moved to the Oklahoma State Fair Grounds shortly after the threat.

"Parents were notified at that time on how they would be able to pick up their children and what to do," Gregory said.