Police: Del City Man Arrested After Claiming He Killed Ex-Girlfriend

Monday, August 12th 2013, 1:41 pm
By: News 9

A worried friend called Oklahoma City Police after a man answered a woman's cell phone and claimed to have killed her.

A woman called her friend just before midnight on August 9. She said a man answered her friend's cell phone, and said the friend couldn't speak right now because he had just killed her. The woman hung up and called 911. She told police she never heard her friend's voice. She also said her friend's ex-boyfriend, 34-year-old Nathanial Richardson of Del City, had been stalking her and she'd obtained a VPO, or Victim Protection Order, against him.

Dispatch also received a second 911 call from a friend of Richardson. The friend said Richardson had called him and said he'd killed his ex-girlfriend.

Police rushed to an apartment complex at N. Council Road and Devore Drive where the victim lived. They knocked on the door for several minutes but no one came to the door. They also tried to call the victim's cell phone, but received no answer.

Police say after about 20 minutes, Richardson came to the door of the apartment and started yelling at officers. He cursed and shouted, and told police to leave. Officers told him they had to check on the welfare of the possible victim, but Richardson refused to let them inside the apartment.

Officers soon decided to force their way into the apartment. They kicked in the door and took Richardson into custody. After they handcuffed him and put him in a patrol car, they searched the apartment.

They found the victim locked in a bathroom. She told police she'd locked herself inside because she was terrified. She said Richardson was her ex-boyfriend and she obtained a VPO against him after he vandalized her car in June; but she dropped it after he repaired her vehicle.

The victim told police she'd invited Richardson over to her apartment, but didn't realize how intoxicated he was. She said after he arrived, he took her cell phone and refused to return it. She said when police arrived, she'd tried to leave but Richardson physically restrained her. She was able to escape and locked herself in the bathroom.

Richardson was arrested and booked into the Oklahoma County jail for kidnapping and interfering with official process.