Construction of another MAPS 3 project began Monday as new sidewalks start replacing worn grass paths along North Western Avenue between Britton and Hefner Roads.
Over the next few years, $9 million in MAPS 3 sidewalks will be constructed throughout the City. Locations were selected based on criteria set by the MAPS 3 Sidewalks and Trails Subcommittee.
"These new sidewalks strengthen our neighborhoods and improve our community's walkability, safety and health. They enhance our access to libraries, parks, schools, public transit and shopping," said Mayor Mick Cornett.
While the MAPS 3 investment in sidewalks is $9 million, more than $73 million in 2007 GO Bond Issue and MAPS 3 funds are being used to build new sidewalks and trails citywide.
The first few MAPS 3 sidewalk locations include:
• Western Avenue between Hefner and Britton Rd
• MacArthur between Wilshire and Britton
• NW 63th between Meridian and Ann Arbor Terrace
• Classen between NW 34th and NW 49th
• May between Hefner and Quail Creek Rd
• Penn between Memorial and NW 122nd
• Meridian between NW 63 and NW 50
• Western between SW 104th and SW 98th
• May between SW 59th and SW 61st and May between SW 80th and SW 89th
• Pennsylvania between SW 96th and SW 104th
• Pennsylvania between SW 59th and SW 61st to SW 74th
• Pennsylvania between SW 77th and SW 84th
• May between SW 29th and SW 59th
• SE 44th between Shields and Walker
Additional sidewalk locations will be added as MAPS 3 progresses. Sidewalk widths range from five to six feet depending on how far they are from the curb.
Every MAPS 3 project is currently underway, either in planning, design, construction or land acquisition.
Log on to www.okc.gov/maps3 for project details and to read the implementation plan.