A Spencer home was destroyed by fire after the ashes of an outdoor fire pit had been improperly disposed of, Saturday afternoon.
Fire crews were first called to battle a grass fire at 3420 N. Outpost, but when they arrived they saw that the home was engulfed.
Investigators say the family was finished using a fire pit that was outside on the front porch. The father told one of his sons to dump the ashes in a hole out back of the home, but the boy instead disposed of them in a metal trash can on the side of the home.
The ashes caught the garbage on fire and then spread to a wood pile before catching to the house. Firefighters say clutter inside the home made the fire difficult to fight.
Fire crews with Midwest City, Nicoma Park, Forest Park and Spencer were all called to help battle the blaze. No one was injured in the fire.