Many families who live near Triplet Road and Midwest Boulevard grabbed what they could and got out Sunday night, sleeping at the First Assembly of God Church in Guthrie.
Monday, they got their first chance to go back to their homes. We wanted to check up on the Eakle family, who had eight puppies with them at the church Sunday. Turns out they're okay and so is their house.
5/5/2014 Related Story: More Residents Evacuated As Logan Co. Grass Fire Rekindles
"We came out here, and it is still here," said Floyd Eakle.
He has a lot to be thankful for - his property was spared, and he credits his neighbor Tommy Thornton for that.
"I did have one tree that caught fire," said Eakle. "And he was right there luckily and got the fire department immediately on it and got it out."
But Tommy gives all the credit to the hardworking firefighters who were back out Monday morning putting out hotspots.
"We're all grateful that they are on the horn," said Thornton. "Because without them, this place would all be gone."
"The fire department was amazing," said Melissa Eakle. "They basically saved our property, we wouldn't be here if it weren't for them - and good neighbors."
The puppies are glad to be home too. But even though they are okay, flames kept sparking just a few hundred feet away - making everyone nervous.
"The wife's got the stuff loaded up for the puppies, just in case," said Floyd Eckles. "Right now we are hoping the power comes up at some point."
For now, the Eakles and their puppies are staying put - but they are keeping a close eye on those hotspots that are flaring up all around them.