Duncan Teen Arrested For Making Death Threats Against Students

Thursday, October 30th 2014, 7:13 pm
By: News 9

A 15-year-old Duncan student was arrested for making threats of a school shooting.

Police arrested the high school student following an investigation into threats posted to the social media app, Yik Yak. Investigators began reviewing the threats on Thursday afternoon.

The posts stated "Bring my 9 mm with me to school tomorrow. All white boys get bullets," "Rednecks dying first at DHS," and "Don't come to school tomorrow if you're innocent. Shooting Duncan High"

The suspect's grandfather, Roosevelt Vinson, offered an apology on behalf of his grandson.

"We do apologize and we solicit your prayers in this situation because it could turn into being a very horrible thing for a 15-year-old who has never been in trouble," said Vinson.

He said students, faculty and staff at Duncan High School do not need to be afraid.

"We want to let people know there's nobody that's going to get shot," Vinson said.

Vinson said his grandson does not own a gun or have access to one. The grandfather explained that his grandson was using the social media outlet as a way to vent, but had no intentions of carrying out any threat.

"I talked with him this morning and he is so remorseful...he said people had been treating him bad at school and it was a prank more or less," explained Vinson.

Duncan Police said it's more serious than that. Every threat of violence is deemed credible until proven otherwise. Chief Danny Ford said investigating the threats on Yik Yak app was difficult for several reasons.

"Yik Yak is a no sign in, no cost usage, and that makes it difficult to track," Ford said the app touts a user's anonymity.

So, his investigators teamed up with the Federal Bureau of Investigation to recover an IP address for the phone used to post the threats. The GPS coordinates led investigators to the east side of Duncan, the same block as the suspect.

Investigators knocked on doors until they found the suspect. He was arrested after 11 p.m. Wednesday.

Police are not releasing the suspect's name because he is a juvenile. They said the investigation is ongoing because there is a possibility other juveniles were involved.

Vinson said his grandson is cooperating with investigators.

"Whatever we can to resolve this situation," said Vinson.

In the meantime, it appears security has been heightened at Duncan High School, but administrators did not immediately give comment.