Firefighters Put Out House Fire In NW OKC


Thursday, January 29th 2015, 8:33 am
By: News 9


Authorities are investigating a house fire in northwest Oklahoma City, Thursday morning.

According to the fire department, just before 7 a.m., crews responded to the report of a house fire in the 2600 block of N. Hammond Ave. When firefighters first arrived, they reported seeing heavy smoke coming out of the home.

Dan and Linda Trammell told News 9's Rachel Calderon that they have lived at this house for about 40 years. They had just paid off the home three years ago when Dan retired.

Dan told News 9 that he was cooking in the kitchen at about 6:30 a.m. When he was about to light the range, it exploded. Dan said it knocked him over. But he and Linda escaped the home safely.

Firefighters said it took them about five minutes to put out the flames. But about 50 percent of the home was destroyed.

The Trammells said they will stay with their daughter who lives in Shawnee.

Fire officials suspect that a gas leak caused this fire, but they don't know the source yet. A dryer was installed on Wednesday and is located in laundry room behind the wall near the stove.