Street crews are on alert and will begin salting city snow routes if ice or snow begins to accumulate on the roadway.
Here are some safety tips:
· Use extra caution when driving over bridges and overpasses.
· Turn off your automatic sprinkler systems.
· Remember that posted speed limits are only to be followed during ideal weather conditions. Slow down while driving on snow or ice.
· Give salt trucks plenty of room – stay at least 100 feet behind them so salt won't get thrown on your car.
· Plan ahead by getting up and leaving the house earlier.
· Keep at least a three-car distance from the car in front of you
· Steer and brake more slowly than usual.
· Keep warm shoes and clothes in your car.
· Clear all snow and ice from your vehicle before setting out.
· Proceed carefully through intersections
· Have a plan if you slide off the road – who are you going to call?