Officers Who Saved Baby In Icy River Heard Mysterious 'Voice'

Tuesday, March 10th 2015, 12:08 pm

By: News 9

Police responding to a report from a fisherman about an overturned car in an icy Utah river were stunned to discover an 18-month-old girl dangling in a car seat inside, unconscious but alive. The officers also say they heard a mysterious voice begging for help.

"Someone said 'help me' inside that car," Spanish Fork Police Officer Tyler Beddoes said, according to CBS affiliate KUTV.

Officer Jared Warner told KSL he also heard a voice.

"(It) wasn't just in our heads," Warner told KSL. "To me, it was plain as day. I remember hearing a voice that didn't sound like a child, just saying 'help me.'"

They found the baby in the back seat and a woman dead in the front seat after flipping over the car. A firefighter jumped into the river and cut the car-seat straps, freeing the baby who was wearing only a flannel onesie and no hat or gloves.

Officers then formed a line in the river and handed the cold child from one person to the next until she was on the shoreline and in emergency workers' arms.

Two days later, the toddler was recovering at a hospital, though authorities still don't know exactly how she survived hanging upside-down for nearly 14 hours in frigid temperatures with no food or water.

"It's heartbreaking. Was she crying most the night?" Beddoes said. "It's a miracle. ... She was needed for sure elsewhere."

Beddoes, one of the officers involved in the rescue, on Monday recounted the ordeal.

Police believe the crash occurred late Friday when the child's mother, 25-year-old Lynn Groesbeck, struck a cement barrier on a bridge and careened into the river in Spanish Fork, about 50 miles south of Salt Lake City.

Groesbeck had visited her parents in Salem and was about halfway back to her home in Springville when it happened, Spanish Fork police Lt. Matt Johnson said.

Investigators don't know what caused the crash, he said. There were no skid marks, and the midsize car had no signs of mechanical failures.

Police don't suspect drugs or alcohol as a factor but were awaiting toxicology results. Groesbeck might have been tired or distracted, Johnson said, adding that authorities weren't ruling anything out.

Even though the road that goes over the bridge gets plenty of traffic, no one saw the wreck because the cement barrier obstructed the view below, Johnson said.

If a fisherman hadn't chosen that river Saturday morning, it could have been several more hours before the car was found, he said.

The overturned car was perched on the bank and rocks. As the girl dangled inside, icy water rushed just below her head through broken car windows. The temperatures were near freezing throughout the night and through the morning.

"She must have been just out of the water enough to be getting oxygen," Beddoes said.

When the four officers responded to the vehicle, they didn't know how long it had been there or who was inside.

After freeing the girl from the car, responders rushed her to an ambulance and performed CPR, Beddoes said.

On Monday, Lily Groesbeck was in stable condition and improving, according to hospital officials. Beddoes said the girl was opening her eyes and doing well.

Lynn Groesbeck was enrolled at Provo College with a goal of becoming a medical assistant, her sister Jill Sanderson told the Deseret News.

Beddoes said the family has thanked him and the other officers for helping save Lily.

"Knowing that she was trapped in there 14 hours, the cold water running through car, just blows me away," Beddoes said.


Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News On 6 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

March 10th, 2015

July 20th, 2022

August 31st, 2021

August 13th, 2021

Top Headlines

September 26th, 2022

September 26th, 2022

September 26th, 2022

September 26th, 2022