A family of five is lucky to be alive after a fire causes significant damage to their home.
The Oklahoma City Fire Department arrived on the scene around 1:18 a.m., near SW 33rd and McKinley early Sunday morning. The home was fully engulfed in flames and impinging on the neighbors home. Some of the neighbor's siding had melted, but crews were able to prevent the home from catching fire.
The majority of the fire in the original home was in the garage and attic.
“They were extremely lucky. They didn’t have a smoke detector. The occupants were alerted because they thought somebody was trying to break-in,” said OKC District Fire Chief Michael Paschal.
No one was injured in the fire.
Fire crews believed the fire started in the attic, but after an investigation it was undetermined.
Fire crews helped the family get in contact with the Red Cross.