What To Clean When You Are Sick
Monday, December 7th 2015, 12:31 pm
By: News 9
We are in the middle of cold and flu season and there's something you can do to stop it from spreading in your home. Doctors say it's as simple as cleaning, but there are a few items we could forget to wipe down.
Cold and flu season lasts through May so you'll need this cleaning routine for a few months.
- First up -- the thermometer. You should clean after every use. For glass ones, just wash it with soap and cold water, and then rinse and dry. But for digital ones, you'll want to wipe it down with alcohol and air-dry it.
- You'll also need to clean your humidifier. Where the water is held should be wiped dry every day or two to avoid scum from building up. You can use white vinegar for this.
- Also on the list, a medicine cup should be washed after each use.
- You'll want to replace or soak your toothbrush. The CDC says you can get re-infected when you use a toothbrush you used when you were sick.
- And last, your trash can. We throw tissues in there which can spread germs through the house. One trick for that is to line the trash can with a plastic bag and replace it daily. Then wipe it down inside and out with a disinfectant spray.