Dr. Donnie: Coping With Grief During The Holidays
Friday, December 11th 2015, 2:52 pm
By: News 9
Dr. Donnie offers the following tips when it comes to coping with grief during the holidays.
- Decide what you can handle comfortably and let family and friends know
- Make some changes if they feel comfortable for you
- Re-examine your priorities: greeting cards, holiday baking, decorating, putting up a tree, family dinner, etc.
- Consider doing something special for someone else
- Recognize your loved one's presence in the family
- If you decide to do holiday shopping, make a list ahead of time and keep it handy for a good day, or shop online
- Observe the holidays in ways which are comfortable for you
- Try to get enough rest--holidays can be emotionally and physically draining
- Allow yourself to express your feelings
- Keep in mind that the experience of many bereaved persons is that they do come to enjoy the holidays again
- Don't be afraid to have fun