A local realtor spoke with News 9 about his “brush with death” Saturday afternoon near Yukon.
Thomas Fleet sells new Homes by Tabor in Raywood Manor neighborhood.
He had just opened a garage door to check a yard sprinkler control panel, when he smelled the strong odor of natural gas. The home exploded just seconds after Fleet turned around and tried to get away.
Witnesses say the explosion knocked Fleet off his feet. He landed face down in the driveway of the residence. He suffered minor injuries.
“I’m extremely grateful. The EMSA guy who checked me out, told me to go buy a lottery ticket Saturday evening. Uh, I was up extra early, told to go to church Sunday. It really reminded me of what was important,” he said.
Homes by Tabor Vice President of Sales Brian Thomas said thieves had broken into the home the night before.
2/22/2016 Related Story: Officials: Theft Of Oven Leads To Explosion Of OKC Metro Home
They ripped a stainless steel gas range from the kitchen, which caused the dangerous natural gas buildup.
Police are still looking for those responsible.