Amarie Hooper was in tears as she sang to her two little brothers.
“I’ll tell you all about it when I see you again,” Hooper sang.
Trevian Hooper-Williams, 4, and Jaylin Hooper-Williams, 3, died in a fire on March 22. Firefighters responded to the blaze just after 9:30 a.m. at their home in the 1200 block of NE 47 Street.
More than 100 people gathered to support the family during their funeral on Tuesday.
Loved ones shared memories, saying the two boys were inseparable. It was like that until the end. Firefighters found the brothers inside a bathroom, but it was too late to rescue them.
“I was praying that it was a mistake. I was devastated. I couldn’t believe it,” said family member Diana Samarripa.
She called Trevian and Jaylin her little cousins. She said their mother, Ashley Williams, is a hero for trying to save her family.
Williams was one of four people inside the house when the fire started in the bedroom and spread quickly.
She was able to help the grandmother who is wheelchair-bound out of the house safely. When she tried to go back in for her children, the flames were too high.
Family members flew in from out of town and friends also drove to pay respects to Trevian and Jaylin.
Firefighters said the cause of the fire was accidental, but it’s a reminder for families to always be prepared and have a fire escape plan.