The Buxton’s home on Northwest 36th Street in Oklahoma City was destroyed after it was engulfed in flames in mid-April.
Scott Buxton, his wife and son were all sleeping when the fire started in a downstairs office. He said he woke up to the sound of a smoke alarm.
“I heard this awful noise,” said Buxton.
He said if it weren’t for that smoke alarm, he doesn’t think his family would have survived. Within minutes, the two-story home was filled with smoke and flames. All three of them got out with one dog. Two other dogs died in the fire.
Cpl. Gray Cero with the Oklahoma City Fire Department is one of several who responded. He recalls at least eight feet of flames were coming up and out of the windows.
“Being able to get notified while you still have some visibility and you can get out safely is key,” said Cero.
Buxton walked through his house pointing at different items. He knows everything is ruined, but he can rebuild. He is just grateful that his wife and son are alive.
Before the fire, Buxton said he never took fire prevention seriously, but now he is speaking out to protect others.
“It was a very scary deal. It happened fast and it was not a lot of time to think. I would encourage those that don’t have smoke detectors in their homes to get them,” said Buxton.
The Oklahoma City Fire Department says they provide free smoke alarms for residents. Neighbors should contact their local fire station for more information.