Today is officially John Whetsel's last day as Oklahoma County Sheriff. Whetsel won re-election in November following an investigation into a controversial audit. He was sheriff for 20 years.
As of this morning, six candidates have filed in hopes of becoming the next sheriff. The race includes:
- Republican Mike Christian, a former state representative and retired state trooper
- Ed Grimes, a Canadian County Sheriff's deputy
- Mike Hanson, an Oklahoma County Sheriff's deputy
- Brett Macy, a former Oklahoma City police lieutenant and current member of the Pardon and Parole Board
- Darrell Sorrels, a former sheriff's supervisor
- P.D. Taylor, Oklahoma County's undersheriff
The deadline to file is today at 5 p.m. A winner-take-all special primary election is set for April 4. A special general election is set for Sept. 12.