Independence Day can be a very dangerous time for your pets. In fact veterinary hospitals say this is one of the busiest times of the year.
Little Boston, a Boston Terrier, was one of many animals at the Neel Vet Hospital on Tuesday.
“Just concerned,” said his owner Lilly Hoffman as she started to tear up. “That’s fireworks poppin’.
Anything loud noise, they freak out,” added her husband Harvey Hoffman.
Monday night Boston was so freaked out he hurt his hip.
“I let him back in and he’s yelping, like somebody hurt him,” said Lilly. “Crying, can’t walk.”
Veterinarians say the most common injury during the 4th of July is animals hurting themselves because the fireworks made them anxious.
“I literally had a dog who wore every single one of his teeth down to the gum line in one night trying to chew through the owner’s door to her bedroom,” said Dr. Brett Boatsman, a Veterinarian with Neel.
But those injuries can be much more serious if the animal is outside and tries to jump a fence to escape.
“The anxiety then leads to them, out in the yard trying to escape from the yard, getting struck by a car, getting lost,” said Dr. Boatsman.
However, Dr. Boatsman says there is help if your pet suffers from a fireworks phobia. Your vet can prescribe a sedative to help them cope.