Space Heater In Dog House Sparks Fire In SW OKC


Tuesday, November 28th 2017, 1:48 pm
By: News 9


A space heater inside of a dog house is to blame for a house fire in southwest Oklahoma City, Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters were called out to the scene in the 1400 block of SW 32nd St., located just to the west of S. Blackwelder Avenue.

Once at the home, crews spotted smoke, but learned that the fire was confined to a small area outside the house and did not burn the inside. Later, authorities discovered the fire was started from a space heater inside a dog house next to the home.

Unfortunately, firefighters discovered that the dog house had six puppies inside. Five of the puppies were killed in the fire. One dog was treated for minor injuries not related to the fire.

No injuries other injuries have been reported. It is unclear if the home owner was at the house at the time the fire started.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department released the following message concerning this fire:

Sadly, this is an example of improper use of a space heater. Space heaters should be kept at least three feet away from combustibles, and they should be turned off when the occupant leaves the room or goes to bed. Space heaters should not be used on extension cords; they should be plugged directly into an outlet. Care must be exercised when using space heaters, heating lamps or other forms of heat. Accidents can and do happen.