Firefighters Warn Residents Of Fire Potential With Live Christmas Trees


Friday, December 1st 2017, 8:20 am
By: News 9


The Oklahoma City Fire Department has a warning this Christmas season.

They shared a video with News 9, showing just how quickly your holidays can go up in flames.

If you have a live Christmas tree, firefighters urge you to keep it watered. 

In this side-by-side video, you can see just what a difference that can make. 

The tree to the left of your screen was not watered--and just after two weeks the dry tree caught on fire extremely easy. 

In fact, the flames spread from foot to ceiling in just 10 seconds. 

Meanwhile, almost a minute into the burn, the well-watered tree struggled to catch fire.

Firefighters also urge to keep your tree at least three feet away from heat sources like candles and space heaters.

As always, make sure you have working smoke alarms.