Space Heater Causes NE OKC House Fire


Thursday, December 28th 2017, 6:26 am
By: LeighAnne Manwarren


A space heater was the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a northeast Oklahoma City home.

The fire was reported shortly after 5:10 a.m. Thursday in the 4500 block of NE 20.

When fire crews arrived on the scene, they reported the home was fully involved with flames and heavy smoke.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire relatively quickly.

No injuries were reported. The Red Cross was called to assist the resident of the 600 square foot home.

The damage was estimated to be more than $18,000.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department released the following tips when using space heaters: 

  • Space heaters should be kept at least three feet from anything that can burn (bedding, furniture, clothing, curtains, etc.) 
  • Space heaters should be turned off when you leave the room or go to bed 
  • Space heaters should be plugged directly into a wall outlet (not on extension cords) 
  • If purchasing a new space heater, look for one that has built-in overheat protection and tip protection. These will automatically shut off if they overheat or are knocked over. 

Stay with News 9 and News9.com for more information as it becomes available.