Crews responded to an ammonia leak at a food plant in Moore, early Monday morning.
Fire crews arrived at the old Vaughn Food plant near northeast 12th Street and Messenger Lane after 5:00 a.m. A security guard outside at the time said he notified management about the leak.
The plant was recently bought by Del Real Foods, however the plant is not operational. Del Real's current operations manager said the updated plant was empty at the time of the incident.
Monday morning’s humidity and low wind kept the ammonia low to the ground posing an extra risk to those living nearby.
Residents in the area were notified to shelter in place using the Moore Fire Department's' automated "Code Red" alert system.
"It's an inhalation hazard which is why we were wanting people to stay in place you can get out and go to work because you're getting out and leaving but don't just stand right in there," said Gary Bird, Moore Fire Chief.
The alert has been lifted.
Officials have not determined an official cause of the leak.
Stay with News9.com or your News 9 app for more information as it become available.