Suspect In Custody After Dangerous Chase, Crash In Downtown OKC

Wednesday, September 19th 2018, 12:07 pm
By: News 9

A suspect is in custody after a dangerous police chase in downtown Oklahoma City. 

Police arrested Matthew Johnson, 40, in the parking lot of Bass Pro Shops Wednesday afternoon.

Several witnesses came dangerously close to the pursuit. Vladimir Butler was spraying landscaping only feet from where the pursuit ended.

“I saw that U-Haul truck coming towards me,” said Butler. “So I dropped the spray gun and ran out of the way.”

Little did Butler know, his work truck would help police end the pursuit. Johnson crashed in-between a patrol car and Butler's truck.

“I saw him get tased,” said Butler. “And pulled out of the car.”

Bob Mills SkyNews 9 Pilot Jim Gardner said the suspect, "had no regard for persons or property." Gardner was flying overhears as the officers walked a handcuffed Johnson to the back of a patrol car. 

Police said he stole the yellow truck Wednesday morning from a business in Stockyards City.

“While officers were responding to the call,” said Officer Megan Morgan, Oklahoma City Police Department. “They saw a vehicle that matched that description in the area of 10th and Penn.”

An officer followed the truck, but Johnson reversed and rammed into the officer's car.

That is when he took off and led other officers on a pursuit through the metro.

“During that pursuit he did ram another officer and two citizens,” said Morgan. “Fortunately, everybody is Ok from those three incidents.”

Johnson drove through multiple parking lots in Bricktown and only feet from the canal. He now faces a long list of charges stemming from the pursuit.

“Including unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, two counts of assault and battery on an officer, two counts of ADW for ramming the citizens,” said Morgan. “Several traffic charges and also two counts of leaving the scene of an accident.”

An injured officer involved in the pursuit was taken to the hospital and has been treated and released.