Monday, January 13th 2020, 6:07 pm
- 1 cup dry potato flakes
- 1/2 cups warm water + 1/2 cup more if needed
- 1 cup whole milk (warmed)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp melted, cooled butter or oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 4.5-6 cups all purpose flour
- Warm milk in a small saucepan.
- Remove from the stove top before it begins to boil.
- Allow milk to cool.
- In a measuring cup, combine 1/2 warm water and yeast; let stand for several minutes.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl of an electric stand mixer.
- Stir in potato flakes, sugar, butter, warm water and salt; mix well. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- If you are using a stand mixer, change the attachment to the dough hook.
- Knead the dough in the stand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add water a tablespoon at a time as needed to allow the dough to come together. Otherwise, turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes or until an elastic dough forms.
- Brush a clean bowl with melted butter and place the dough into the bowl.
- Rotate around in the bowl to cover with butter.
- Cover with a tea bowl and place the bowl in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and cut into half.
- Spray 2 4x8 baking pans with non stick cooking spray.
- Place the loaf shaped loaf into the pan.
- Cover and set in warm spot to rise again for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees, in the middle of the oven, for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter.
- Cool loaves (out of loaf pans) on a wire rack.
Click here to follow Sassy Mama on Facebook.