2 Active Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cases In Oklahoma, More Expected
There's one new confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) case in Oklahoma.
Three Oklahomans have tested positive so far, however only two cases are still active. The Tulsa Health Department announced Thursday that the first confirmed COVID-19 patient has recovered.
The latest coronavirus patient has been identified in Altus at the Air Force base.
While the State Health Department remains vigilant, business and school closures are changing by the minute.
State health officials said while uncommon, it is possible to spread COVID-19 even if someone is not showing symptoms.
They are keeping a watchful eye on the identified cases.
“Isolating those individuals, as well as daily monitoring of any close personal contacts, that would be at risk of exposure for the 14 days through the period of their last date of exposure to those cases,” said State Epidemiologist Laurence Burnsed, MPH.
The number of those infected is expected to climb, within an increase of testing.
Ahead of spring break, the head of the Oklahoma Department of Education offered words of caution.
“This is a good time for school boards to review their plans and policies, to make the best decisions for students,” said State Superintendent Joy Hofmeister.
Several metro school districts opted to start spring break a day early including; Oklahoma City Public Schools, Yukon, Moore, Mustang, and others.
Oklahoma colleges have followed suit including: OU, OSU, UCO and more.
Those campuses are taking extended spring breaks, and some are even moving classes online.
However, their athletes they won't be suiting up.
The NCAA has announced all remaining winter and spring championships are canceled, even March Madness.
This comes after the NBA’s Utah Jazz Center Rudy Gobert tested positive for COVID-19, shutting down the Chesapeake Arena Wednesday night.
Related: Coronavirus + NBA: Steve McGehee Reports From Chesapeake Arena
It was confirmed Thursday Utah Jazz player, Donovan Mitchell, also tested positive.
Mitchell visited Mid-Del Schools before Wednesday night’s Thunder game and hung out with students.
The school has been in council with state health officials and reports students are not at risk for the virus.
But some are still worried.
“I’m nervous. I’m trying to see if my dad can check me out,” said Luis Negron, a Del City Senior.
Thunder players are also being checked out by medical experts.
Meanwhile, Oklahomans are asked to remain calm.
“Go on about your normal business. We think that we have to just take a deep breath for a second,” said Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt.
“The government is not going to shut down…we are working to stay ahead of this problem,” said House of Representative Speaker Charles McCall.