Dominican authorities made a second arrest Tuesday night in the shooting of Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz, but there was no public indication the man was suspected of being the gunman. Julieta Tejeda, spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office, told reporters via WhatsApp that a second arrest had been made in the investigation.


She declined to provide further details. CBS News partner Noticias S I N said a source told it five people were detained and were being questioned Tuesday night.

Several people were in custody as of Tuesday afternoon, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to release details of the investigation.

Ortíz had his back to the sidewalk Sunday night at the Dial Bar and Lounge as a gunman - a passenger on a motorcycle - got off the bike, approached the 43-year-old and fired a single shot at close range before escaping.

Enraged fans captured the 25-year-old motorcyclist and beat him bloody before handing him over to police. The gunman fled.

Doctors in Santo Domingo removed Ortiz's gallbladder and part of his intestines, and he was flown to Boston for further treatment Monday night, undergoing two hours of exploratory surgery.

Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, said in a statement that he was "stable, awake and resting comfortably" at Massachusetts General Hospital and was expected to remain there for several days. She thanked the family of Red Sox owner John Henry, the team and the hospital staff.

CBS Boston reported that Ortiz took his first steps since the shooting Tuesday and remained in the Intensive Care Unit.

"Today, he's stable. He's talking with his family and even took a few steps, aided by members of his family," Ortiz's longtime assistant, Leo Lopez, said in a phone interview with the station.

The motorcyclist, Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia, had a 2017 arrest for drug possession.

A police car carrying him drove up to a shipping container that was serving as a makeshift courtroom Tuesday evening and sat there for about a half-hour before driving off. Court officials said the hearing had been delayed because Féliz Garcia's charging documents hadn't arrived in time. He was brought back about 10 p.m. for charging.

A spokesman for prosecutors, Erick Montilla, said Féliz Garcia was charged as an accomplice to an attempted murder.

His lawyer, Deivi Solano, said Féliz Garcia had no idea who he'd picked up and what was about to happen when he stopped to take a fare.

"He didn't know what they were going to do. He's a fan of David's," Solano said.

The Associated Press reports that Ortiz was so beloved in his hometown, he traveled Santo Domingo's dangerous streets with little or no security, trusting in his fans to protect him.

Big Papi's guard was down even at hotspots like Dial, where the Dominican business and entertainment elite can cross paths with shadier figures in a country where fortunes are often made in drug smuggling and money laundering.

Police in the Dominican Republic are investigating what aspect of the national hero's life made him the target of what appeared to be an assassination attempt.

Ortíz has a six-bedroom, $6 million home in the wealthy Boston suburb of Weston, Massachusetts, that he shared with his wife and three children, but has put it up for sale. He visits his father and sister in Santo Domingo about six times a year, according to a close friend who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.


Ortíz stayed at his father's apartment and was active on the social scene in the capital, hitting nightspots with a small group of friends that included TV personalities and Dominican reggaeton musicians, whom Ortiz would help by connecting them with established artists in the genre.

Ortíz couldn't avoid running across unsavory characters on the Santo Domingo social scene but kept his distance once he was warned about their shady backgrounds, the friend said.

"He may have spoken with them, but he didn't know who they were," the friend said. "He really kept away from that world."

Police are investigating, however, whether some brief relationship formed in Santo Domingo set in motion a chain of events that led to the shooting, a second law enforcement official told the AP.

The official declined to provide further details about the type of relationship or other aspects of the rapidly developing investigation.

Ortíz felt completely secure in his hometown, the friend said, with adoring fans greeting him wherever he went.

"He felt protected by the people," the friend said. "He is one of the most loved people in the Dominican Republic. He felt no fear despite the fact that there's street crime here. Even the guys in the dangerous neighborhoods respected him."