Flash Flooding In West OKC, Yukon Submerges Vehicles, Prompts Water Rescues
Multiple vehicles are stranded in western Oklahoma City due to flash flooding.
The calls started when a person was trapped in a submerged vehicle near Interstate 40 in west Oklahoma City, firefighters said.
The incident is reported at Reno and Council Road near I-40.
Other areas where firefighters were called include:
- Reno and Portland
- Hefner and County Line roads
- S Independence and SW 51 Street
- SW 50th and Pennsylvania Avenue
- Interstate 44 and SW 29th Street
- 8500 block of Northwest Expressway near Council Road
- Morgan Road and NW 10th Street
- N Council Road and NW 122nd Street
- NW 16th Street and N Meridian Avenue
- SW 44th Street and S Agnew Avenue
- NW 5th Street and An Arbor Avenue
- SW 22nd Street and S Agnew Avenue
- S Miller Avenue and SW 59th Street
- NW 36th Street and Kilpatrick Turnpike
- Memorial Road and Pennsylvania Avenue
The Oklahoma Highway Patrol shut down Interstate 44 in both directions near SW 29th Street due to flooding. The roadway reopened less than two hours later.
Troopers later shut down southbound Kilpatrick Turnpike from NW 39th to NW 10th due to flooding.
The City of Yukon also shut down several roadways due to flooding. They include:
- Hwy 4 from Wilshire to Wagner
- Wagner from Sara to Hwy 4
- Wagner from 11th Street to Hwy 4
- Richland from Frisco to Hwy 66
- Foreman from 11th Street to Richland
- Yukon Pkwy at Hwy 4
- Yukon Pkwy at Legacy Lakes
If you see high water on the roadway, turn around, don't drown.
Stay with News 9 and News9.com for more information as it becomes available.