Monday, January 16th 2017, 3:40 PM CST
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- In a large stock pot brown the bacon and ground beef. Drain any excess oil.
- Return the meat to the heat and add in the celery, onion, carrots, garlic, basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook till the onions are translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Place the lid on the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bring the soup to a boil and add the elbow macaroni.
- Continue to cook at a strong simmer until the macaroni is cooked al dente.
- Serve with a slice of garlic cheese bread.