Oklahoma Mom Charged For Using Gasoline To Treat Daughter's Lice
McALESTER, Oklahoma - A Pittsburg County mother faces a charge of child abuse by injury after gasoline she poured on her daughter's head to treat head lice caught fire.
Prosecutors filed the charge recently against Shana Suggs, 25, in Pittsburg County District Court.
According to an affidavit filed in the case, the incident happened in January. The affidavit says a space heater ignited the gasoline and burned the 5-year-old girl and Suggs.
Haileyville Police said the child suffered second- and third-degree burns over 60 percent of her body.
Police said the girl is living with relatives in Oklahoma following lengthy treatments at a Tulsa burn center and a Texas Shriner's hospital.
Court records say Suggs could face a life sentence if convicted.
Suggs is being held at the Pittsburg County on a $25,000 bond. Her next court appearance is August 16.