Space Heater Blamed For Fire In NW OKC
OKLAHOMA CITY - A man managed to escape unharmed early Thursday morning after a space heater started a fire in his northwest Oklahoma City home.
The fire started around 2:30 a.m. in the 3700 block of W. Liberty Street, not far from the State Fairgrounds. The resident was inside when he smelled smoke and saw flames. He escaped and called 911 for help.
Firefighters quickly arrived and began to battle the flames. They had to work around power lines in the backyard, but managed to contain the fire to the back of the house.
Firefighters say a space heater started the fire. That's the same thing that started a deadly blaze Wednesday in Oklahoma City that killed a mother and her four children.
Firefighters say space heaters often cause fires when the weather turns cold. They urge homeowners to be cautious when using them, and to make sure there are working smoke detectors in the home.