Jon Jordan, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma woman, who was hit and killed after she stopped to assist a wreck Tuesday, was a registered nurse who made a career out of helping others.

According to Oklahoma City investigators, 34-year-old Tiffany Nicholson pulled over near Interstate 35 near N.E. 10th Street after she noticed a car that had been involved in an accident. Attempting to help those involved, police said Nicholson was hit and killed by another car.

The accident remains under investigation.

According to Nicholson's family, her 1-year-old son was in the car when she pulled over to help, but he was unharmed. They also said the driver who hit her did stop.

"If they just came up on her suddenly and weren't able to react in time or what the story is, just do not know," said Bob Godwin, Nicholson's father-in-law. 

According to her Facebook page, Nicholson was a registered nurse who had worked at INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center since 2002 and had been working in the hospital's transplant intensive care unit.

"Nurses take an oath just like a doctor does and she took her oath very seriously, and it wasn't just so much an oath as it was her way of life," Godwin said.

President of INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center Chris Hammes released the following statement to fellow employees about Nicholson's death:

"It is with much sadness that I must announce the loss of one of our IBMC family members. Tiffany Nicholson had stopped to offer assistance at the scene of a motor vehicle accident last night when she was tragically killed. Tiffany began her career at IBMC as a Health Unit Coordinator in 2002. She achieved her RN license in 2006 and most recently was working on 701. Tiffany's twin sister, Stepheny Rogers, also works at IBMC. A memorial service will be scheduled for employees. We will pass along more information about the memorial service and Tiffany's funeral service as it becomes available. Please keep Stepheny, Tiffany's family and her co-workers in your thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time."

Nicholson is survived by her husband and 1-year-old son, Max.

Nicholson's funeral will be Saturday in her hometown of Yukon.