OU Freshman's Alcohol-Related Death Still Affecting Students
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Five years ago today, a freshman at the University of Oklahoma died from acute alcohol poisoning at a fraternity party.
Blake Hammontree, 19, was found to have an alcohol level five times above the legal limit.
OU President David Boren immediately shut down the Sigma Chi fraternity house, banned all alcohol on campus and instituted an alcohol awareness program.
Five years later, Boren has no regrets.
"I would do it all over again because I think we have substantially reduced the amount of dangerous behavior on campus," Boren said.
Several of Hammontree's fraternity brothers received deferred sentences for supplying alcohol to minors.