Cheery Cherry Cran-Peary Pie
By Kay Flickinger, Second Place Winner of Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts Pie Baking Contest at the Oklahoma State Fair
2 Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts (1 box)
2 fresh ripe pears
1 14.5 oz can pears and juice
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup tart red cherries packed in water, drained
2 tbsp butter
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each ground: ginger, nutmeg, cloves
1 tbsp port wine
2 tsp corn starch
1. Peel, core and slice fresh pears. Slice canned pears and set aside. Reserve juice.
2. Mix sugar with spices.
3. Melt butter in skillet. Add pears, cranberries, sugar, port cooking for 2 minutes over medium heat.
4. Remove fruit from skillet and add ½ cup canned pear juice.
5. Mix ¼ cup pear juice with cornstarch and add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened.
6. Remove from heat and add all fruit and stir gently.
7. Prepare pie pan with bottom crust.
8. Add fruit mixture and place the other crust on top. Crimp to seal.
9. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
10. Remove from heat and cool slightly before cutting and serving.