¾ cup Adzuki beans, canned or boiled
¼ cup low fat vanilla yogurt
¼ tsp cardamom
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 cups cantaloupe, diced
2 cups honeydew, diced
2 tsp minced ginger
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, cardamom, lime juice, ginger, and cilantro.
2. Dice the melon into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
3. If using canned adzuki beans, place these in a colander and rinse with water thoroughly. Add the rinsed and drained adzuki beans to the melon and combine ingredients until evenly mixed.
4. Combine the yogurt dressing with the melon-bean mixture.
5. Allow to chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Yield: Makes 5 generous 1 cup servings
Nutrition information per serving: 106 calories, 4 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g total fat with 0.2 g saturated fat, 0.6 mg cholesterol, 3.8 g dietary fiber, 36 mg sodium
Exchanges per serving: 1 ½ fruits, ½ very lean protein
Source: Adapted recipe by Tim Ferrell and Miriam Young. Nutrition analysis by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD St. John Medical Center Tulsa