Underwood confession released
By Gan Matthews, NEWS 9
Two days after the murder of 10-year-old Jamie Rose Bolin, Kevin Underwood gave a full confession to FBI agents on tape.
Now that his trial is over, a recording of his confession has been released.
The public can hear Underwood's voice recounting his obsessions and his plans.
Some of what can be heard in these tapes may be disturbing.
Cleveland County District Attorney Greg Mashburn released the DVD of the confession in response to multiple media requests under the state's Open Records Law.
The video quality is poor, though you can make out Underwood signing a waiver of his right to remain silent.
He then describes his fantasy:
"It started off as, uh, cannibalism, uh, you know," Underwood said. "It was the, uh, you know, I wanted to know what, what it tasted like."
He detailed his plan:
"I had pretty much planned all along to probably get a kid, just mainly because they'd be easier to grab and easier to get rid of afterwards, you know, put up less of a fight," Underwood said. "When I was first thinking about it, you know, I was like looking at it, you know, like five-year-old boys running around there playing all day. So, I mean, the age and the gender didn't really matter to me."
He settled on Jamie Bolin because she was a trusting child. Once she was in his apartment, he struck her in the back of the head with a cutting board.
"I know what I did was wrong and, and I know that I deserve to be punished for it," Underwood said.
A jury agreed with him last week and decided Underwood deserves to be put to death.
Kevin Underwood's formal sentencing is scheduled for April 3.