Heart healthy Asian lettuce wraps
Asian Lettuce Wraps
• 16 Boston Bibb or butter lettuce leaves
• 1 pound chicken breast, cut in strips ( boneless & skinless )
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce
• 1/8 cup hoisin sauce
• 2 teaspoons minced pickled ginger
• 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
• Asian chile pepper sauce (optional)
• 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
• 1 bunch green onions, chopped
• 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
• ½ cup of shredded cabbage
• ½ cup of shredded carrots
1. Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not tear them. Set aside.
2. In a medium skillet over high heat, brown the strips of breast of chicken in 1 tablespoon of oil, stirring often and reducing the heat to medium, if necessary. Drain, and set aside to cool. Cook the onion in the same pan, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and chile pepper sauce to the onions, and stir. Stir in chopped water chestnuts, green onions, and sesame oil, and continue cooking until the onions just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
3. Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter, and pile meat mixture in the center. To serve, allow each person to spoon a portion of the meat into a lettuce leaf. Wrap the lettuce around the meat like a burrito, and enjoy!
One wrap (16 wraps per recipe) provides 65 calories, 7 grams protein, 2 grams fat, .3 grams
saturated fat, 5 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 17 mg cholesterol and 95 mg sodium.