A fire on Melrose Lane proved hard to extinguish - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

A fire on Melrose Lane proved hard to extinguish

Posted: Updated:
There was a lot of smoke at the duplex fire on 6911 Melrose Lane, but no one was hurt. There was a lot of smoke at the duplex fire on 6911 Melrose Lane, but no one was hurt.

News 9

A number of mishaps could have led to a duplex's total loss after a fire started at 6911 Melrose Lane, northeast of Rockwell and Reno avenues. No one was injured.

Oklahoma City fire battalion chief Felton Morgan and a crew were returning to their station at around noon when one of them noticed smoke near Reno and Rockwell. The firefighters got closer and discovered the fire, which had not yet been reported.

Unfortunately, the fire fighters were in a ladder truck, which does not carry water. Calling the fire station, which is only about a half mile down the road, more firefighters were on the scene quickly.

Yet again there was a stumbling block. The fire fighters hooked into the closest fire hydrant and found it to be completely dry. Firefighters had to go an extra block before they found a working hydrant.  

Fire fighters did get everyone out safely, even the resident cat Darla--who did receive oxygen.

A preliminary investigation indicated the dry hydrant may have failed to recharge the water line after some recent street work in the vicinity.

Fire officials said the fire was caused by an occupant trying to start a wood-burning stove in an upstairs bedroom with an oil lamp.

 

Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.