The early bowl season confidence always seems to fade a bit as kickoff approaches. Many prognosticators who were calling for an OU blowout in the Fiesta Bowl when they saw the matchups revealed are now backing off that a bit and predicting a tight game. The recent loss of Sooner defensive tackle Demarcus Granger helping to increase the anxiety level.
Not me. I'm sticking to my guns. I like OU big for several reasons.
1) Eager to avenge what they view as an embarrassing loss last season to Boise State.
2) Bob Stoops is tired of seeing (0-3 in last three BCS games) scroll across the bottom of the ESPN ticker.
3) When OU has been excited to play this year they have been unbeatable. They are excited to play tonight.
4) Teams who have lost their head coaches are 0-7 in bowl games this season. West Virginia lost Rich Rodriguez to Michigan.
5) The Mountaineers are one-dimensional. OU's defense tends to eat-up one dimensional teams.
6) West Virginia beats teams with speed. They are not faster than the Sooners.
7) The Mountain Men were devasted with the loss to Pitt and they still look depressed. I don't think they can match the energy level of the Sooners.
I think tonight's game will resemble the first two BCS games of this season so far by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. USC crushed Illinois. Georgia routed Hawaii. OU will have their way with the Mountaineers.
Let my media brethren be conservative. I'm telling it like it is.
Final Score: OU-52, West Virginia-21.