Yukon woman killed after standoff - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Yukon woman killed after standoff

Posted: Updated:

By Stacey Cameron, NEWS 9

A Yukon woman is shot and killed after she opened fire on a Highway Patrol SWAT team.

It was a deadly ending to a five hour stand-off. Two witnesses with an up close view say the woman never gave police any other option but to take her life. Sadly, the first people on the scene say it appears that's what the dead woman wanted all along.

The stand-off taking Vicki Sander's life began with bounty hunters knocking on the front door. David Dunn and Carol Franklin were the bounty hunters trying to arrest Sanders for missing a court date and jumping bail. Her charge was for pointing a firearm at another individual.

"I tried to talk her out," Franklin said. "Convince her someone was messing with her car so we were speaking at the door. But she wasn't buying it."

The bounty hunters decided to make an entry into the apartment. With Dunn set to kick the front door in, Franklin thought to take a quick peek inside Sanders' apartment window. Franklin saw Sanders sitting on her couch pointing a riffle at the door Dunn was about to kick in.

Seeing Sanders with a gun, Franklin yelled out for Dunn.

"I say she's gun, she's got a gun." Franklin said. "And I immediately got to the ground."

"When Franklin yelled, she turned immediately and fired at Franklin out the window." Dunn said.

Sanders' bullet narrowly missed Franklin. Franklin and Dunn pulled back calling in police.

After watching Sanders hold a SWAT. team at bay for five hours Dunn once again heard the sound of gunfire.

"A little after 11:30pm, we heard a loud bang," Dunn said.

The bang was Sanders shooting at police and police returning fire killing Sanders.

"I think she was at a point in her life where she felt she had no options," said Franklin. "This was the way she wanted it to end."

Both David and Carol were carrying guns at the time, but because there were children playing and living near Sanders' apartment, they say they never once considered using them.

The bullets killing Sanders were fired by an Oklahoma Highway Patrol SWAT team. While the troopers are now on routine paid administrative leave, Dunn and Franklin feel OHP did nothing wrong.

Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.