OKC Police Respond To Multiple Standoffs Involving Hostages, Negotiate Peaceful Surrenders

Monday, July 26th 2021, 5:44 pm
By: Jennifer Pierce


Oklahoma City police were spread thin over the weekend. Officers negotiated peaceful endings in multiple standoffs going on at the same time.

Both standoffs involved an armed suspect holding people hostage inside apartments. The TACT team was called out to handle the standoffs and ensure everyone got out safely.

Police were called to an apartment complex near Northwest 38th Street and Hartford Street on Saturday around 3 a.m.

According to the incident report, a tenant was texting the apartment manager saying a man named "Ray" had a gun and was threatening occupants and not allowing anyone to leave.

Police set up a perimeter around the complex and said one-by-one the hostages inside the apartment were released. Nearly 10 hours later, the TACT team was able to convince 48-year-old Arthur McCray to surrender.

Meanwhile and at the same time police were called to a domestic situation near Northwest 29th Street and MacArthur Boulevard. The caller reported hearing several gunshots. 

“Apparently, he pulled out the gun and fired a round into the hood of her vehicle,” said MSgt. Gary Knight, Oklahoma City Police Department. 

When officers arrived, they reportedly saw Deontrey Davis, 25, with a gun, run into an apartment with a woman. At the same time a dog ran out, towards police.

“A vicious dog tried to attack one of the officers and sadly the officer shot to shoot and kill the dog,” said Knight. 

Officers were told Davis was holding at least six other people hostage inside an apartment, including his girlfriend. Davis allegedly fired out a window several times, hitting cars.

“The dogs were barking like crazy,” said Loti Coffey, witness. “There was the yellow tape tied up to my mailbox to the police car.”

Coffey watched the seven-hour standoff unfold from her front yard. She was relieved to see everyone come out unharmed.

“The suspect released the people, let them all come out,” said Knight. “Eventually he came out and surrendered himself as well.”

Both men were arrested and are currently in custody at the Oklahoma County Detention Center facing multiple felony complaints.