A law enforcement official says that the shooter in the Trayvon Martin case will be charged with second-degree murder and is in custody.
The official with knowledge of the case says that the charge against 28-year-old George Zimmerman will be announced at a news conference at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The official says he's in custody in Florida but wouldn't say where. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to disclose the information.
An arrest had been delayed because of Florida's so-called stand your ground law, which gives people wide latitude to claim self-defense in a killing and other altercations.
The lack of an arrest in the 17-year-old's death had sparked outrage and rallies for justice in the Orlando suburb and across the country.
4/11/2012 Related Story: Prosecutor To Charge George Zimmerman In Death Of Trayvon Martin