Firefighters responded to a reported fire at the Rockwell Plaza Apartments around 7:00 a.m. Sunday.
Upon arrival, fire crews were faced with smoke and visible flames. The fire was located on the second floor of one of the buildings. The occupants of the building were being evacuated from the area. But two people had already jumped from a second story window to escape the flames. One was taken to a local hospital with an ankle injury.
One person, who occupied the apartment that caught fire, was injured and treated at the scene for burns. Then, EMSA transported him to a local hospital for evaluation.
Firefighters also retrieved a cat and successfully revive the pet.
Investigators determined the fire started in the unit where a stove had accidentally been left on. That unit is a total loss, one other unit had some fire damage, and six other units had water damage.
Damages total to approximately $150,000.
Authorities say a total of eight families have been displaced and are being placed in other housing.