Nu-Train's Recipe of the Month: Summer Squash Saute
Most recipes can easily be made trans-fat free as long as you're not using hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, or products containing those items. This vegetable saute uses olive oil, a monounsaturated oil that helps to decrease bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. Plus, it's a colorful dish that will be sure to remind you that summer is right around the corner!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 5 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium green zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, basil, thyme, or other herbs to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Remove from pan.
- Add the squash and zucchini to the pan and sauté for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Lower the flame and cover pan. Cook on low for 6 to 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover pan, add the cooked onions and garlic and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. If desired, add fresh herbs.
Calories per serving: approx. 70