Save up to $700 with the best smartphone deals for May 2018
There are many reasons you might be in dire need of a new phone, whether for increased battery life or for other reasons. With companies like Apple, Samsung, OnePlus, Huawei, and Motorola recently rolling out new flagship devices, now is your chance to take advantage of slashed prices on quality smartphones that will blow your old model out of the water.
If your phone needs an update and you’re ready to score a discount on a new wireless device, here are a bundle of smartphone deals available right now. The list includes a handful of sales on unlocked smartphones, exclusive carrier offers, and even a few early Black Friday deals, and can save you as much as $850. Getting a new phone doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg.
The best deal
T-Mobile: T-Mobile is offering a ton of buy one, get one smartphone deals ahead of Black Friday: When it comes to Apple’s offerings, you can get a second free iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR (getting up to $750 back in bill credits) when you purchase one with a qualifying trade-in. Android BOGO deals also let you get as much as $750 back toward a second phone when you buy a OnePlus 6T, Samsung Galaxy S9, S9 Plus, Note 9, Galaxy S8, S8 Active, LG V40 ThinQ, or LG G7 ThinQ when you trade in an eligible device. Note that to take advantage of these holiday offers, you are required to activate a line on each phone (which means that current T-Mobile customers only have to activate one new line).
More carrier smartphone deals
Cellular service providers regularly offer enticing incentives to get you to switch to their LTE plans. So if you’re looking for a new carrier, you can save a good chunk of change and even score a free device by taking advantage of one of the best smartphone deals from Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, or AT&T:
- AT&T: AT&T has a pile of nice BOGO and rebate deals on name-brand Android and Apple flagships: Buy two iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, XS Max, iPhone XR, Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9 Plus, Galaxy Note 9, or LG V35 ThinQ smartphones on AT&T Next and enjoy between $600 and $850 back in bill credits toward the value of the second phone (the rebate amount varies by model, and note that the Android BOGO/rebate offers are currently available for DirecTV customers only). If you don’t want to buy two Android phones and/or you’re not a DirecTV customer, you can still get up to $200 back on a Galaxy S8 Active, Galaxy S9, S9 Plus, or Note 9 with an eligible trade-in.
- Verizon: Verizon Wireless is offering BOGO and rebate deals on a handful of Apple and Android phones right now. When you buy two flagship phones of the same brand, you can get between $750 and $800 toward your second Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9 Plus, Galaxy Note 9, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max — no trade-in required. The Samsung Galaxy S8, LG G7 ThinQ, and LG V40 ThinQ are also on sale for between $100 to $200 off with no trade-in necessary.
- Sprint: Sprint currently has some big discounts on Android and Apple devices, letting you get a second free iPhone 8 when you buy an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus with two new lines or one new line and one upgrade. Other Apple deals let you score the $750 iPhone XR for free with the lease of an iPhone X, iPhone XS, or XS Max. Android deals let you grab the Samsung Galaxy S9 for $162 or the Galaxy S9 Plus for $252 when you purchase one on an 18-month rent-to-own Sprint Flex lease and add a new line (no trade-in necessary).
Unlocked smartphone deals
Carrier offers typically require you to sign up for a specific service or trade in an old device to get your discount. These smartphone deals, on the other hand, let you enjoy big savings on these unlocked mobile phones when you buy them outright:
- LG G7 ThinQ: LG’s new entry-level flagship phone, the G7 ThinQ, is already on sale ahead of the holidays: B&H has this solid no-nonsense Android device on sale for a discount of $220, letting you snag an unlocked GSM/CDMA model for just $530.
- Asus Zenfone 4 Pro: Even at its regular price of $600, the Asus Zenfone 4 Pro is one of the better non-flagship Android phones out there. Now, you can pick up an unlocked version of this device for a considerably more affordable $370 from B&H, saving you $230.
- LG G6: You can save a lot of money on great hardware by opting for last-gen flagships like the excellent LG G6. You don’t need to tie yourself to a carrier to score a deal on this brand-name Android phone, though: B&H has it in stock for $370, a savings of $330, while Prime members can score it from Amazon for an even cheaper $360 ($340 off).
- Samsung Galaxy S9: The Samsung Galaxy S9 is one of the best Android devices to hit the market in 2018, and if you don’t want to tie yourself to a carrier just yet, then you can score the unlocked version from B&H for just $600 for a $120 discount.
- Blu R1 HD: Blu is a relatively new player that is challenging Motorola in the “budget Android phone” market. If you came here looking for one of the cheapest unlocked Android phones on our list, then check out the R1 HD. The unlocked 5.2-inch model rings in at just $100 from Amazon.
- Moto G6: The Moto G is still one of the best budget Android smartphones on the market today. Amazon is offering the unlocked sixth-generation Moto G for $200 ($50 off), and Prime members can score the G6 Play for $184. No Prime membership? No problem — B&H also has the G6 for just $200 and the G6 Play for $194.
- Moto X4: Another affordable entry in the Moto series, aimed at the midrange price bracket, is the Moto X4, which boasts an impressive water-resistant all-glass body. Prime members can grab an unlocked X4 for $200 (a nice 50-percent discount), but even if you don’t have Amazon Prime, you can still get one for $300 from Amazon as well as B&H.
- Huawei Honor 7X: Huawei has a number of budget-friendly alternatives to brand-name flagships. Its surprisingly great Honor 7X is a sleeper hit that you may have missed, and it’s an absolute steal at $200 from Amazon.
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2: We’ve seen no shortage of alleged “flagship killers” that too often fall short of expectations, but the new Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 actually lives up to this promise. This budget-friendly dual-sim smartphone punches well above its weight at just $329 from Amazon after a nice $370 price cut.
- Nokia 6.1: The Nokia 6.1 is all-new for 2018, and it’s arguably the best budget Android phone to come out this year, with hardware that outshines most other cheap smartphones. Both Amazon and B&H have unlocked models in stock for $200, saving you $70.
- Sony Xperia M5: Sony’s Xperia lineup remains highly underrated in the huge market of Android smartphones, with these devices offering flagship-like features at midrange prices. The Xperia M5 is a fine example of the value that Sony’s phones provide and comes in at just $125 from B&H with a 50-percent discount.
- Google Pixel: Another fantastic 2017 flagship (and one of our favorites) is the Google Pixel. You can grab an unlocked 32GB model for $350 from Amazon and save $300 off of its retail price. B&H also has the larger Pixel XL on sale for $320, or $480 off.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.